1. The Lightbulb Challenge! We're hosting a social media challenge to recreate our Lights On logo! Just strike the pose, snap a photo, and post it on social media, with a message of support for afterschool and the handle of the person you're challenging to participate. Be sure to tag #LightbulbChallenge and #LightsOnAfterschool so we can share your post!
2. Connect with your community. Brush off your social-emotional learning skills with a game night, a youth service project in your community, or connect with programs around the world using Empatico.
3. Healthy snacks. Lights On Afterschool provides a great opportunity to teach kids about nutrition and healthy eating while they enjoy a meal. Make sure your menu complies with the USDA meals designed for afterschool programs and encourage attendees to explore the refreshed Healthy Eating and Physical Activity (HEPA) Standards from the National AfterSchool Association. Visit our Health & Wellness theme page for more information on keeping kids nourished—at a Lights On Afterschool event or all year 'round.
4. Show off your entrepreneurial chops. For a sizzling activity that will get students and families on their feet, host a pitch contest where students identify a problem, imagine a solution as a business opportunity, structure their pitch, and deliver it to a panel of judges. Kids learn creativity, problem-solving, and public speaking all in one fun, exciting activity.
5. Teach creativity. The Creativity Catapult offers a number of expert-designed activities to boost creativity in children—from simple drawing exercises to more elaborate construction projects.
6. Light up a landmark. Request a special Lights On Afterschool lighting of a statue, fountain, or park in your community; host a lantern lighting where students design, decorate and release lanterns into the evening sky; or grab a projector and a lightbulb design and light up the side of your own building! (Be sure to share pictures on social media at #LightsOnAfterschool and #LightUpALandmark!)
7. Get inspired. Still not sure how to celebrate Lights On Afterschool this year? Visit our new Event Ideas & Activities database, where you can filter event ideas by category, planning time required and level of difficulty.